Monday, April 5, 2010

Go to your happy place.


For the last 2 weeks or so I have found myself slightly overwhelmed and anxious about pretty much everything and nothing (it's kind of like the anxious anticipation of waiting for Santa only in a not so fun way). It has a tendency to come and go every so often for me and it has been going on long enough that I have just accepted it as part of my charm :) The good news about having these extra neurotic periods of time is that I have a reason to stop and force myself to escape to one of my few happy places that exist on this earth.
The qualifications for somewhere to be considered my happy place is that it needs to hold some sort of happy memory, it must have a good view (sunset or sunrise is a bonus), preferably outdoors (a cool breeze, birds, etc), and I need to be able to just breath better there. There are a few places that meet all of these qualifications and certain locations tend to jump up and down on the list but there are two that always remain at the top spots and those are my great uncle's house in wildwood crest and the other is the roof of my house. Sadly I haven't been able to escape to the beach just yet but luckily my favorite portion of the roof is located just outside one of my windows. Since I was about ten years old I have been removing that screen and shimmying my way out onto that slanted piece of heaven. I'm not sure why it's so calming... maybe its the remnants of that rebellious and dangerous feeling from when I was a kid or the fantastic breeze that always seems to blow past that part of the house. Whatever it is the second I am seated on the warm shingles (or whatever they are) I can feel myself breathing easier. Over the last two weeks I have been lucky enough to get home from work just in time to see some beautiful sunsets out there and although the colors tonight were not as vivid as they have been in the past; it still calmed me like nothing else could.

What is your happy place?

1 comment:

  1. I want to visit your roof top, I've never been on one and it sounds awesome:)

    I don't have a place, so much as tactile things. I have my baby blankie, which has a silky lining that is very cool to the touch. I like to run the backs of my fingernails over it. Shawn can tell when I'm stressed because I'll practically wear a hole in the blanket...so he'll move to the only thing in the world known to calm me every time - stroking my hair. I guess my mom must have done it a lot when I was a baby, but as soon as someone strokes my hair/rubs my forehead, I just stop. And usually fall asleep:)

    ReplyDelete