Monday, July 30, 2012

Soundtrack to my life

The guilty pleasure song.  Everyone has one, in fact most people have several and they tend to fade in and out of popularity with the world and our personal playlists.  Every once and a while though, they are so damn catchy that they hang out in your life long enough to be the background to some awesome memories; and once they are cemented into those happy times, you are stuck with them forever.  These 2 songs are not the types I would normally choose for my life soundtrack, but lets face it, the heart wants what the heart wants.  So apparently my heart wants Demi Lovato to be around pretty consistently.  She released a newish album around the time that I was spending an inordinate amount of time in the car.  Not only had I signed up to help a friend move from Pennsylvania to Florida (a 22ish hour trip) but I was also on car pool duty from time to time with my amazing cousins Jess and Ally.
 Jess and Ally being eaten by a shark this past Christmas on our girl adventure day.

As the road trip approached I was hell bent on making some awesome mix cds that would keep Melissa and I going when we were going stir crazy in the car.  I asked my adorable little cousins (now in the tween and early teen years) if they had any recommendations of awesome music that I should be in to.  They told me that Demi Lovato had come out with a new song called "Skyscraper" and that it was awesome to sing a long to.  Now I had heard it on pandora and I won't lie, the 13 year old in me loved it but couldn't wait to tell her friends how she was too hard core to listen to such crap.  So I tossed it on our mix cd's and we set off on an adventure.  Well little did I know (and to Melissa's dismay) it has kind of become an unofficial anthem to our friendship.  The overly angsty singing, not to mention music video, and the lady power theme of not letting someone bring you down, were like crack.
Melissa and I setting off on our road trip.


So it was officially added to the soundtrack upon my return.  I told Jess and Ally about the news and we discovered that she came out with her next single called "Give your heart a break".  We listened to it and found out that it might be just as much fun to sing as "Skyscraper"... I know, I know, bold words, but we were willing to test it out. 
So the next few times I picked either of them up from something we tossed it on the stereo and before I knew it we knew all the words.  We maybe even had a little interpretive car dance that one uses to fully express the beauty that is this dance-tastic pop ditty. 

So there you have it.  The story of how 2 completely unexpected tunes landed themselves a spot on the soundtrack to my life.  Let's all just pray that nothing important happens in my life while "Call me maybe" is playing... I don't think even I can find a way to justify that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment