Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Recently, with hearing about Jack Osbourne's diagnosis with MS, I realized that I tend to have a less than normal reaction when I've heard about a celebrity with an illness.

I'm almost excited to hear about it.  

I know that sounds horrible, but what I mean is that I am excited to be hearing about that person saying a big old "fuck you" to the stigma that accompanies a large diagnosis.  One of the hardest parts of having a life changing illness is conquering the way you have been socialized to feel about it, and figuring out how it works for you.  Adding on the pressure of being in the public eye, in my mind, is just astronomical.  I think that's why when I see someone like Jack Osbourne, or Venus Williams, or even Demi Lovato (with her bipolar diagnosis) deciding to speak up and out, not even in protest about their disease, but just about it's basic recognition, that I think they should be congratulated.  
It is the small victories that we as sickies need to celebrate, and acceptance is a huge first leap for any newly diagnosed person to take.  So thank you famous sickies, no matter what you are famous for, I appreciate you standing up and announcing proudly that you are fighting just like the rest of us.  Thank you for working towards ending the stereotype the sick people should suffer in silence.  It is together that we are most strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment