Saturday, June 16, 2012

Soundtrack to my life

Every so often a song comes a long and I love it so much that I find myself saying "in the movie of my life, I want this to play while this scene is happening!"  Sometimes the memories I think about are so specific that it is amazing I can remember them with such detail, and other times its a simple as "I want this to play when I am doing something spontaneous."
I know it's a little silly to think about but it always makes me smile and I feel like it keeps me connected with who I have been at certain points of my life.  So as a tribute to one of my favorite random musical activities, I have decided to start spontaneously keeping track of them here.  Some will be old and stood the test of time and others will be new and fleeting fancies that could be possible blackmail for later days.

So to start lets go with the song that I always said would be the main song on the soundtrack to my life. 
"The Remedy" by Jason Mraz
 Image found here
This song first came out when I was in high school and going through my first initial cancer treatments and I was immediately drawn to it.  It has a fun beat and is easy to sing along to, plus the message of "I won't worry my life away" is infectious and perfect for a day of driving with the windows down.  Slowly I began listening more and more to the lyrics and unraveling the story of illness and strength hidden in his silly and wonderful wordplay.  Then one day I was watching some show on VH1 where they talked about the meanings behind popular songs and they quoted Mr. Mraz mentioning that it was written about a friend battling cancer treatments.  Well from that day on it was over!  No other song had a chance, my life had an anthem and this was it.  As early as 16 I was saying that one day I would get some part of this mantra tattooed on my body as a reminder that it was only through acceptance of my disease could I conquer it, or even happily live with it.  So at 21, I got my first big tattoo on my upper thigh and it was with this mantra in tow. 
After all these years (dear god 10 to be exact) I still love the song as much as ever.  Jason Mraz was recently on storytellers on VH1 and he played and explained The Remedy and just sat there grinning from ear to ear and may or may not have shed a tear.  I'll always be thankful for his message and this song because it's impact on my life is honestly immeasurable. 


No comments:

Post a Comment